ClanBarker

Tracing the disparate ancestries of four great families

Histories

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 115» Next»     » Slide Show

Edward Pickard Hall obituary



The Late Mr. Edward Pickard Hall

On the evening of Saturday, Nov. 6th, a distinguished citizen was taken from us. Mr. Edward Pickard Hall was born at Worcester on the 3rd of June, 1809, and was therefore in his 79th year. His father Mr. John Vine Hall, was the compiler of “The Sinner’s Friend,” a little book which has obtained a circulation of more than three million copies. He derived his name Pickard from his grandmother, a niece of the Rev. Edward Pickard, one of the founders of the Orphan Working School. On leaving school, Mr. E. P. Hall was associated with his father in the conduct of the Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, which he edited for more than twenty years.

Devoted to music and Church work, he was for some years voluntary Choirmaster and Organist at St. Peter’s, Maidstone, and afterwards Precentor of All Saints, the collegiate Parish Church of that City. On removing to Bearsted he found the singing in Church led by the schoolmaster’s flute, but soon obtained the substitution of an organ. Two years later he went to East Farleigh, then under the charge of the Rev. Henry Wilberforce. Here he acted as Organist and Choirmaster, and was in other ways most helpful to a Vicar whom he much esteemed.

During this period of his life he was actively engaged in many public duties, undertaking, amongst other honorary offices, the Secretaryship of various Agricultural and Horticultural Societies, as well as of the Maidstone Board of Health, and of the Irish Famine Fund, &c.

In 1853, Mr. Hall became one of the partners of the Oxford Clarendon Press, and so continued until 1884. Besides supervising the discipline of the Institution, he took charge of the Boys’ Night School four nights a week in the winter months, and directed the Men’s Brass Band, and the Boys’ Drum and Fife Band. Mr. Hall assisted in founding the Oxford Churchmen’s Union, was for many years a member of its Council, and for some time the Lay Honorary Secretary. In this connection he was associated with the Rev. W. D. Macray in the management of those Saturday Evening Entertainments at the Town Hall, which are now resumed under other auspices. He was also, for some time, President of the North Oxford Working Men’s Club, to which he gave lectures, readings, and concerts. For many years he was an ardent Volunteer, and in 1866 was appointed Captain of one of the Companies, which consisted largely of employés at the Press. Mr. Hall greatly valued the various tokens of respect from time to time from those whom he had tried to serve. Among these may be mentioned the acknowledgement of his services as a first volunteer organist at St. Giles’s Church, where a barrel organ reigned as late as 1863.

But that which he regarded as the crowning honour of his life was the presentation to him of the Honorary Degree of M.A. by the University of Oxford, on March 6, 1877, and his subsequent association with Keble and with Hertford College. While he lived at the Clarendon Press he was a generous helper to all good works at St. Paul’s, and one the most regular worshippers at its daily services. On removing to the Norham Road, in St. Philip’s Parish, he gave his aid and presence to the different organizations of that Church, of which he was sidesman when he died.
He was buried at St. Sepulchre’s Cemetery on Wednesday, the 10th inst., at a quarter-past one in the afternoon. The funeral was conducted by the Rev. E. C. Dermer, assisted by members of the St. Philip’s choir. The service in the Chapel commenced with the singing of verses of the hymn “Saviour, blessed Saviour.” The lesson was read by the Vicar of St. Paul’s, the Rev. W. B. Duggan. As the coffin was taken out of the Chapel (covered with wreaths and crosses, including one from the Press Band, one from the churchwardens, and one from the congregation of St. Paul’s) the choir sang the Nunc Dimittis. Among the large company of mourners at the funeral were a great number of members of the Press, with a deputation to carry the coffin from the Chapel to the grave, the Provost of Queen’s College, Professor Montagu Burrows, Dr. Biggs, Professor Bartholomew Price, Mr. L. Gell, Mr. Horace Hart, the Rev. W. Lock, Rev. A. Butler (Oriel), Rev. Mr. Spurling (Keble), Rev. E. L. Balmer, Mr. Wilson (Oriel), the Rev. G. Lewis, the Rev. F. Brown, &c.

Mr. Hall was author of an “Index to the Authorised Version of the Bible,” and also of a short “History of Printing.” He was married in 1836 to Anne, daughter of James Ralph, Esq., who survives him, with their six sons and five of six daughters.


Owner/SourceJackson’s Oxford Journal
Date13 November 1886:
Linked toEdward Pickard Hall, MA (Death)

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 115» Next»     » Slide Show